Final Research Plan Now Available: "Opportunities and Challenges in Digestive Diseases Research: Recommendations of the National Commission on Digestive Diseases"
The National Commission on Digestive Diseases’ long-range research plan for digestive diseases, entitled Opportunities and Challenges in Digestive Diseases Research: Recommendations of the National Commission on Digestive Diseases, is now available in electronic (PDF) format, as well as in print format.
Electronic versions (PDF): The research plan can be downloaded from this website by clicking on the following files, which contain a complete version or separate sections of the research plan. These files are in PDF format, which requires the free Adobe Acrobat® Reader for viewing.
Complete Research Plan (PDF, 2,963 KB, 245 pgs) Sections:
- Research on the Basic Biology of the Digestive System (PDF, 763 KB, pp.25-49)
- Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders and Motility Disorders (PDF, 466 KB, pp.51-66)
- Infections of the Gastrointestinal Tract (PDF, 600 KB, pp.69-78)
- Cancers of the Digestive System (PDF, 973 KB, pp.81-93)
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (PDF, 185 KB, pp.95-105)
- Intestinal Failure and Regeneration, Nutritional Disorders and Support, Surgically Modified Gut, and Transplantation (PDF, 987 KB, pp.107-115)
- Diseases of the Oropharynx and Esophagus (PDF, 1,097 KB, pp. 117-126)
- Diseases of the Stomach and Small Intestine (PDF, 1,527 KB, pp. 129-142)
- Diseases of the Colon and Rectum (PDF, 1,635 KB, pp.145-157)
- Diseases of the Pancreas (PDF, 1,310 KB, pp.159-167)
- Diseases of the Liver and Biliary System (PDF, 2,362 KB, pp.169-185)
- Bioengineering, Biotechnology, and Imaging (PDF, 782 KB, pp. 187-193)
- Conclusion: Common Themes and Steps for Implementation (PDF, 1,570 KB, pp. 195-205)
- Appendix 1: Summary List of Recommended Research Goals and Common Themes (PDF, 1,016 KB, pp. 207-213)
- Appendix 2: Rosters of the National Commission on Digestive Diseases and its Working Groups (PDF, 925 KB, pp. 214-219)
- Appendix 3: References for Statistical and Epidemiologic Data (PDF, 177 KB, p. 220)
- Appendix 4: Abbreviations and Acronyms (PDF, 770 KB, pp.221-225)
- Index (PDF, 1,783 KB, pp. 226-237)
- Acknowledgements (PDF, 175 KB, p.238)
Print: Free single copies (no bulk orders) of the research plan are available to order from the:
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse
2 Information Way
Bethesda, MD 20892-3570 (Please use 9-digit ZIP code.)
(Please include your name, mailing address, telephone, and email address.)
Development of the Commission’s research plan was informed by a parallel effort to develop an updated report on the burden of digestive diseases in the United States. This resource is available at the link below:
* Documents in PDF format require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader application for viewing.
The Burden of Digestive Diseases in the United States, 2008
Page last updated: April 28, 2009