NIDDK Instructions Requesting Relocation (Transfer) of Fellowships (F32)
When an investigator re-locates and requests continued support for a previously approved project at his/her new location, the NIH requires that a transfer application be submitted through the new institution. This application will receive administrative review to determine if the transfer is appropriate and to determine the level of NIH funding. The decision to authorize transfer of a fellowship will be based upon the following information: (1) the project has been relinquished by the original institution, (2) the facilities and resources at the new location allow for the successful performance of the project, (3) there is a mentor(s) at the new institution appropriate for the project who has expressed his/her willingness to accept the fellow and the project; and (4) the fellow plans no significant change in research objectives and level of effort from those described in the previously approved project. If the proposed change of institution does not meet these criteria, competitive review will be required.
F32 awards will only be transferred on the anniversary date of the award. The fellow will continue to draw funds from the original institution, if he/she moves before the anniversary date. The two institutional business offices (original and new) will arrange for the payment of the fellow’s stipend and insurance until the anniversary date. The non-competing continuation will be awarded to the new institution.
To request continued support at a new institution and to accomplish closeout at the original institution, the following must be submitted:A. From the Original Grantee Institution
B. From the New Institution
- Form PHS 3734, Official Statement Relinquishing Interests and Rights in a Public Health Service Grant. 1 A relocation application will not be processed until this form, signed by the proper institutional officials, has been received by the NIDDK. This form provides the effective date of relinquishment and, for fellowships, should indicate zero funds remaining in the current year of support.
- Form PHS 416-5, Activation Notice A new activation notice is necessary, but NOT another payback agreement form.
- Form PHS 416, Grant Application. The new institution must submit an application with “CHANGE OF GRANTEE INSTITUTION” typed in capital letters across the top of the front page. This application should be complete and include all necessary signatures on form page 8. Be sure to include the following information:
- A description of the facilities at the new institution and the probable effect of the move on the project.
- A list of equipment (which was purchased in whole or in part with grant funds and had an acquisition cost of $1,000 or more) to be transferred from the original grantee institution. Such a listing in the application represents the new institution’s acceptance of title to the transferred equipment.
- A progress report that will serve in lieu of a final progress report for the original institution.
- A statement concerning the current research plan and an indication of whether the original plan has changed. If changed, provide appropriate details.
- Biographical sketches of all new professional personnel to be associated with the project.
- Other support pages for all key personnel
- Applications should be submitted as early as possible to allow for administrative review.
This application should be sent to:
NIDDK File Room,
Attention DEAS Staff
6707 Democracy Boulevard, MSC 5456
Bethesda, MD 20892
1If the transfer is occurs prior to the Type 1 award being issued, a letter from the institution business office may be substituted for the PHS 3734.
* Documents in PDF format require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader application for viewing.
Page last updated: January 01, 0001