Bring in a New Year of Good Health
Broadcast Dates: Monday, January 2 – Sunday, January 8, 2012
Right Click to Download MP3 File (1.14 MB) | Get Real Player
Getting physically fit can be challenging, but there are steps you can take to make it easier and more enjoyable.
Hi, I’m Dr. Griffin Rodgers, bringing you Healthy Moments from the NIH. I’m the Director of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
If you made a New Year’s resolution to get more physically active, try these ideas to stay on target:
- Set short-term goals, such as walking 10 minutes, 5 days a week.
- Work up to long-term goals, such as aiming for 30 minutes of physical activity most days of the week.
- Pledge, in writing, to reach your physical activity goals.
- Reward yourself for reaching goals, with a special outing or a small gift.
- Ask a family member to be active with you – to make it more fun.
- Keep a journal of your activities.
- And if you have health concerns, talk to your doctor before you start.
For more tips, visit our website at NIDDK. This is Dr. Griffin Rodgers. Join me next week for more Healthy Moments.
Page last updated: January 02, 2012