Laboratory Animal Science Section
Mark B. Foster St. Claire, D.V.M.
The Laboratory Animal Science Section provides support and guidance to NIDDK’s intramural researchers for all phases of laboratory animal experimentation, including:
- Advising staff members about practices for the proper housing, handling, care, and use of research animals to ensure compliance with guidelines issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care.
- Managing animal care facilities in order to maximize the use of animals, animal room space, and animal care resources.
- Implementing and coordinating animal disease monitoring, investigation, prevention, and treatment.
- Providing guidance on animal-study proposal submissions.
- Training animal care personnel.
Page last updated: January 09, 2012