A draft Report produced after a recent review of the NIDDK Centers Program was posted on this website for a period of public comment from May 16 to June 18, 2012. All NIDDK grantees were alerted via email to the posting, and any interested party was welcome to comment. The NIDDK appreciates the thoughtful input provided on the draft Report.
The NIDDK is now considering the public input and finalizing the Report. The final Report is expected to be posted on this website in late fall 2012. The draft Report will remain available for download on this website until the final Report is posted.
Download Draft Report: The draft Report on the NIDDK Centers Program Review can be downloaded as a printer-friendly PDF (PDF, 399 KB, 32 pages; requires the free Adobe Acrobat® Reader for viewing).
Background on NIDDK Centers Review Process: Through the NIDDK Research Centers Program, NIDDK provides critical support and services for research on diabetes, endocrinology, digestive diseases, kidney diseases, obesity and nutrition, cystic fibrosis, molecular therapy, urology, and hematology. Because the Centers Program is such an important part of its research portfolio, the NIDDK periodically reviews the program in consultation with the National Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Advisory Council.
Such a review began at the February 2010 Advisory Council meeting, at which Council members recommended that the NIDDK:
- examine synergies between Centers;
- encourage interactions between Centers, including fostering regional and national cores;
- enhance access to Center resources;
- examine the value of the Pilot and Feasibility (P&F) program; and
- examine changes implemented in response to the NIDDK's 2003 Centers review.
To begin to address these recommendations, NIDDK made site visits to five universities, each of which has five NIDDK-supported Centers. The NIDDK shared its interim status report and preliminary findings from the visits with the Advisory Council at its May 2011 meeting. To give all Centers an opportunity to be involved in the review process, the NIDDK invited Centers to provide input on the interim report from November 10-December 21, 2011.
This review process informed the draft report posted on this website. The report was prepared by NIDDK with consideration of input from its Advisory Council and Centers. The draft report describes:
- Background information, including the purpose of the current review process and an overview of the NIDDK Centers Program;
- Process for conducting the review process;
- Description of the site visits to NIDDK-supported Centers;
- Summary of input from the Centers; and
- Outcomes from the review process, including planned enhancements for the Program.
To obtain input from a broad range of stakeholders, the draft report was posted, and all NIDDK grantees were notified via email regarding the public comment period that ended on June 18, 2012. The NIDDK is now drawing upon the input received to finalize the report.
Once completed, the final report will be presented to the Institute’s Advisory Council and posted on the NIDDK website.