Specific areas include:
- Regulation of iron absorption, utilization, and storage.
- Mechanisms underlying disordered iron utilization and sequestration.
- Genetic determinants of inherited and acquired iron overload disorders.
- Heme synthesis, transport, and metabolism; Porphyrias.
- Non-invasive measurement of organ and tissue iron load.
- Iron chelators and chelation therapy.
For more information, contact Dr. Daniel Wright or Dr. Terry Rogers Bishop, Program Directors, Hematology Basic Research.