The Islet Transplantation Program encompasses therapeutic or preclinical studies in the following areas:
- Studies to optimize islet yield, viability and durability in the procurement and pre-transplant process.
- Use of immunoisolation techniques, small molecule and gene therapy or other manipulations that enhance islet graft survival
- Therapies to promote immune tolerance of islet grafts
- Evaluation of novel immunosuppressive reagents, regimens or adjunct therapeutics that promote islet graft survival
- Mechanistic studies that specifically contribute to understanding islet graft survival and beta cell renewal
- Studies that evaluate alternatives to human islets for transplantation
For more information, contact Dr. Michael Appel, Director, Islet Biology and Transplantation Research Program.