This program includes studies on drug development, and cellular therapy that are being proposed to prevent type 1 diabetes.
Areas of particular interest are:
- Studies on drug development for type 1 diabetes treatment or prevention:
- Studies including the creation of animal models for therapy trials or humans to maintain normal blood glucose levels.
- Tolerance induction for prevention of type 1 diabetes
- Immune intervention
- "Humanized" mouse model (development of transgenic NOD with human HLA molecules on the T cells) for type 1 diabetes
- Development of therapies for prevention of Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT) or interventions to prevent conversion of IGT to type 1 diabetes
- Drugs designed to enhance peripheral glucose metabolism or reduce hepatic glucose production of type 1 diabetics
- Therapies designed to increase insulin sensitivity of type 1 diabetics
For more information, contact Dr. Beena Akolkar, Immunopathogenesis and Genetics of Type 1 Diabetes Program Director.