The Genetics of Type 1 Diabetes Program seeks to identify the genes that predispose to the development of type 1diabetes and studies to determine their mechanism.
Specific Areas of support include:
- Studies of animal models of type 1 diabetes such as the NOD mouse and the BB rat to identify genes responsible for the development of type 1 diabetes.
- Studies of the HLA region that contains the major genetic determinant for type 1 diabetes to understand its contribution to the development of diabetes
- Studies of immune regulatory regions that may contribute to both type 1 diabetes as well as other autoimmune disorders
- Development of genetic resources and patient samples for the studies on type 1 diabetes.
- Creation of animal models for therapeutic trials.
For more information, contact Dr. Beena Akolkar, Immunopathogenesis and Genetics of Type 1 Diabetes Program Director.