Obesity & Eating Disorders
The Obesity and Eating Disorders Program emphasizes support of investigator-initiated research relating to biomedical and behavioral aspects of obesity in animal models, including disordered eating behaviors, such as binge eating, that may contribute to obesity. Areas of research interest include investigations of factors that affect food choices, food intake, eating behavior, appetite, satiety, body composition, nutrient partitioning, physical activity and energy regulation. Investigations incorporating improved methods for assessment of body composition, examination of health risk factors with specific degrees of obesity or body composition, and determination of the effect of exercise on body composition also are supported. Obesity-related clinical studies or clinical trials in humans are contained within the Clinical Obesity and Nutrition Program, Obesity Prevention and Treatment Program. Studies related to the development and physiology of the adipocyte or basic adipocyte biology are contained within the Adipocyte Biology Program. Studies with a focus on genetic or genomic factors related to obesity in both animals and humans are encompassed in the Genetics and Genomics of Obesity Program.
For more information, contact Dr. Susan Yanovski, Co-Director, Office of Obesity Research.
Obesity Research at NIH
This NIH Obesity website presents information about NIH-supported research to facilitate progress towards obesity prevention and treatment.
Resources for Researchers
Committees and Advisory Groups
Related Study Sections
- Dr. Kristin Abraham, Cell Signaling and Diabetes Centers Program Director
- Dr. Arthur Castle, DEM, Director, Metabolomics and Informatics Programs
- Dr. Edward Doo, Director of the Liver Diseases Program
- Dr. Mary Evans,
Director, Special Projects in Nutrition, Obesity, and Digestive Diseases
- Dr. Jay Everhart, Director of the Epidemiology and Data Systems Branch
- Dr. Judith Fradkin, Director, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolic Diseases
- Dr. Sanford Garfield, Senior Advisor for Biometry and Behavioral Research Program
- Dr. Carol Haft, Senior Advisor for Cell Biology Associate Director for Grants Administration
- Dr. Mary Horlick, Pediatric Clinical Obesity Program Director
- Dr. Christine Hunter, DEM, Director, Diabetes and Obesity Behavioral Research Program
- Dr. Stephen James, Director, Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition
- Dr. Robert Karp, Director of the Genetics and Genomics Programs
- Dr. Robert Kuczmarski, Director; Obesity Prevention and Treatment Program
- Dr. Maren Laughlin, Senior Advisor for Integrative Metabolism
- Dr. Judith Podskalny, Director; Research Fellowship and Career Development and Digestive Disease Centers Programs
- Dr. Sheryl Sato , Director, Neurobiology of Obesity and Developmental Biology
- Dr. Corinne Silva, Director, Intrauterine Environment and Signaling and Nutrient Sensing
- Dr. Philip Smith, Deputy Director of the Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Co-Director, Office of Obesity Research
- Dr. Myrlene Staten, Senior Advisor, Diabetes Research Translation
- Dr. Susan Yanovski, Co-Director, Office of Obesity Research
Funding for Special Communities
* Documents in PDF format require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader application for viewing.
Page last updated: July 09, 2013